Lisa Earle McLeod On Happiness

I should spend more time with my kids. I should take more vacations. I should get to the gym more often. I should call my folks.


The list is a mile long, and we're convinced that true happiness will descend upon us when it's all checked off.

But the real secret of happiness isn't balance at all, it's two very simple things: We're the happiest when we're connected to others and we know that what we're doing with our time makes a difference.

That's it. Not new cars, not big promotions, not even more sex, the perfect life partner or photogenic kids.

It's been proven time and time again, by everyone from the researchers at Harvard to religious leaders, we human beings need both pleasure and purpose to be happy. And we need to experience them both at the same time.

[...]

Whether you know it or not, you do have purpose on this planet - we all do - and I suspect that much of our angst over balance comes from the gnawing knowledge that we're not fulfilling it.

But before you quit your day job, you should know that you don't have to create world peace to give yourself a reason to get out of bed. Sometimes your life's purpose is something as simple, elegant and meaningful as being a great friend or boss.

No comments: