Golias On Roleplaying (Slashdot)

What is really going on is that people are playing different games within the MMO - some are playing the Advancement Game, and for them, people who buy stuff are cheating. But people who are playing the Exploring Game or the Socializing Game only see the advancement as a means to an end - in the case of the latter, it may be a way to keep up with friends.

That's just about the smartest thing I've ever seen anybody say on the subject of farming.

Personally, I tend to play the "roleplaying game."

In EverQuest, I had a character named "Iwalk", who was an even cleric with a very simple ethos:

1. Never run. It's undignified.

2. Never fight. Hurting people is beneath me.

3. Heal people if they want me to.

I played the character up to about level 8 or so (and that took weeks) while strolling leisurely through the forest. Some were amused by my quirky character, and dozens tried to explain to me how I was playing "wrong" because it would take longer for me to "level up" doing what I was doing.

All of my exp came from delivering mail for the bard's guild (a newbie quest which merely involved going from one place to another with "mail"), and from rare people chosing to invite me into their group, in spite of the fact that I told them up front that I would neither fight nor run. (Some of them were stunned when they discovered that I meant it. They would try to "lead" me to some hunting ground or another, only to turn around at the end of their jog and realize that they left me about a half-mile behind.)

I got almost nothing "accomplished" in that vitrual world, but man was it ever fun. I felt a lot like Kwai Chang Caine, walking among the cowboys of the Old West, who can't understand why he doesn't carry a gun or eat meat like regular folks.

In fact, next time I log in to WoW, I think it's about time I bring the character concept back. :)

No comments: