stoolpigeon On Mormonism

I have not read the entire book of Mormon. I have read a good portion of it. I own a copy of it and some other significant Mormon literature. I have seen those parts of mormon worship that are open to be seen by someone who is not a part of their church. (this is not a knock on them-- just clarification on what I know)

I'm not trying to troll. I would think that this is apparent in the fact that I have done my best to carry on the discussion that I started. (I had no idea it would be like this though)

Mormonism does not add a layer to Christianity-- adding but not subtracting. I would posit that it alters the very core of Christianity and this is why I object to the lack of a distinction between the two. Here is why I think so.

Christianity teaches that God the father is Spirit- Mormonism denies this
Mormonism teaches that God the Father and God the Son (Jesus) are one and the same person - Mormonism denies this
Christianity teaches that Satan is a fallen creation of God- Mormonism teaches that Satan is equal with Christ- his brother
Christianity teaches that Christ though fully God became man incarnate- Mormonism teaches that Christ came to be as the result of an incestuous relationship between God and Mary (not my words- a leader of the mormon churches words)
Christianity teaches that God is 'wholly other' and created man. Man will always be below God as man. Mormonism denies this - all men are God's direct offspring and may someday be Gods themselves.

I think this goes beyond just adding. But I truly am not trolling. I am taken aback by the number of vehement responses I've generated. I am searching for the why in this. Why my saying mormonism and what has been called Christianity for the last couple thousand years are different is such a big deal.

No comments: